Battlefield 4 Online Forums
Welcome to Battlefield Intel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Battlefield 3 Easy Helicopter Tips

Battlefield 3 Easy Helicopter Tips

1) Don't Learn to Fly in Multiplayer!
    Wanna piss off a lot of people quickly? Then hop in a Heli and land it upside down, thereby killing u all at once. The game calls it bad luck, but that'll be the NICEST thing they call u! Get ur wings in CO-OP. One of the first missions is an aerial support one where u can iron out the wrinkles as a Pilot or Gunner depending on where it places u.

2) Roll With it, Baby!
    One of the best tips I can give u for actual flying is learn to roll when u turn. The natural mechanics of the in-game Heli causes it to lift its ass-end and roll when u turn with ur Left thumbstick. Correct for this by rolling (GENTLY!) and tilting forward with ur Right thumbstick as u turn. With enough practice u should be able to turn without losing sight of ur target. Which leads me to my next point....

3) Learn to Strafe!
    When u learn to turn (or even before!), try to figure out how to turn around in a circle while staying focused on one target. If u can perfect the art of strafing, u will become a truly scary obstacle for infantry and armor alike. Also, it makes it much more difficult for an Engineer or EOD to run alongside and repair a MBT if ur shooting him...

4) Try 3rd Person!
    If u click the Right thumbstick u can switch between 1st and 3rd person view on ur chopper. Use this to learn how ur thumbstick motions actually affect the movement of ur Heli. This is a lot better than just trying to guess while staring at sky thru the windshield.

5) Spot Long Range!
    The target reticle on most Helis is HUGE! As u are approaching the combat arena, tap ur SELECT button repeatedly. This will spot any opponents inside for ur squad, giving ur enemies a nasty surprise when ur boys parachute in.

6) Did I Mention Spotting?
    Having trouble taking down that MBT with ur Lil Bird? Spot em on the first pass for ur teammates. When I'm an Engineer, I just love taking down a tank with an RPG or SMAW! The same holds true for aerial engagements guys. A lock-on from a Stinger can ruin even a good pilot's day.

7) Lose the Lock!
    If u get tone from a lock-on, just drop low. It takes a second to lock on with any weapon of that type, so just put something between u and them. Hit the treeline or swoop behind a mountain/building/etc, then pop right back up and commence killin!

Info About Unlockables:

The Attack Helicopters can be truly daunting for ur opponents, but they only really show their might when crewed by a good pilot/gunner combo. While the pilots 14 rockets can disable or destroy most armored vehicles, the 30 cannon shells in the nose turret the gunner uses can kill infantry with a quickness. The best thing about attack choppers is that they have six loadout slots....three each for the gunner and pilot. Make sure that u set up ur loadouts as a team so u dont overlap; there is no need for both of u to have the Stealth upgrade equipped. With a lil coordination, u can set up one of the strongest vehicles in the game.

Attack Helicopter Unlock Progression

Name Loadout Slot Pts .........................................................................................Description

1. IR Flares Gadget 300 ....................................................InfraRed flares that misdirect incoming heat-seeking missles.

2. Heat Seekers Pilot Weapon 800 .................................................Pilot launched missles that lock onto enemy aircraft.

3. Stealth Upgrade 1,600 ...........................................Disguises ur IR signature, making it harder for enemies to lock-on.

4. Autoloader Upgrade 2,800 .........................................Decreased min firing time between bursts with ur main weapon.

5. Zoom Optics Gunner Gadget 4,400 ..........................................................3x magnification weapon zoom for gunner.

6. Proximity Scan Upgrade 6,500 ........................................................Detects and reveals enemy units on ur minimap.

7. Air Radar Upgrade 9,000 ............................................Increases minimap range and reveals all friendly/enemy aircraft.

8. Guided Missle Gunner Weapon 12,000 .................Lock onto and track enemy land vehicles; can aquire SOFLAM targets.

9. Extinguisher Pilot Gadget 16,000 ......................Extinguishes engine fires, allowing normal control and dmg regeneration.

10. Maintenance Upgrade 20,000 .........................................................................Improved vehicle dmg regeneration.

11. Thermal Optics Gunner Gadget 25,000 ..............................IR weapon sight for gunner. (I consider this a MUST HAVE)

12. Laser Painter Pilot Upgrade 30,500 ........Laser designates a target for teammates in ur line-of-sight; similar to SOFLAM.

13. Below Radar Upgrade 37,000 .............When flying low, hides u from enemy radar and prevents air-to-air missle lock-on.

14. ECM Jammer Pilot Gadget 44,000 .........................Electronic CounterMeasures prevent lock-on, like improved IR flares.

15. Guided Rocket Upgrade 51,000 ........Increases accuracy/range of pilots main rockets with semi-active guidance system.

16. TV Missle Gunner Weapon 60,000 ..............................TV-guided missle for gunner that are flown via direct-feed video.

The Scout Helicopters start with only forward facing machine gun pods that work well on infantry and IFVs. As u unlock more and better weapons, these small lil choppers quickly become the Mongoose facing down the Viper. After u unlock the Heat Seekers and Guided Missle, these move up into the danger zone for enemy aircraft and armor. The three passenger seats also make for an ideal way to move troops quickly around the maps. Remember: your guys riding on the skids are TOTALLY exposed to incoming fire. Fly low and fast to keep them safe, and drop em off before starting ur attack runs. Another tactic that I love is keeping one Engineer on the skids with his Repair Tool handy. This can keep u from ever losing a dogfight with another good pilot, plus he will rake in the Maintenance Ribbons.

Scout Helicopter Unlock Progression

Name Loadout Slot Pts .........................................................................................Description

1. IR Flares Gadget 400 ....................................................InfraRed flares that misdirect incoming heat-seeking missles.

2. Heat Seekers Weapon 1,200 .....................................................Pilot launched missles that lock onto enemy aircraft.

3. Stealth Upgrade 2,500 ...........................................Disguises ur IR signature, making it harder for enemies to lock-on.

4. Autoloader Upgrade 4,400 .........................................Decreased min firing time between bursts with ur main weapon.

5. Proximity Scan Upgrade 7,000 ........................................................Detects and reveals enemy units on ur minimap.

6. Air Radar Upgrade 10,000 ..........................................Increases minimap range and reveals all friendly/enemy aircraft.

7. Extinguisher Gadget 14,000 ............................Extinguishes engine fires, allowing normal control and dmg regeneration.

8. Maintenance Upgrade 19,000 ..........................................................................Improved vehicle dmg regeneration.

9. Guided Missle Weapon 25,000 ...........................Lock onto and track enemy land vehicles; can aquire SOFLAM targets.

10. Below Radar Upgrade 32,000 ............When flying low, hides u from enemy radar and prevents air-to-air missle lock-on.

11. Laser Painter Upgrade 40,000...............Laser designates a target for teammates in ur line-of-sight; similar to SOFLAM.

12. ECM Jammer Gadget 48,000 ...............................Electronic CounterMeasures prevent lock-on, like improved IR flares.

As always, I hope this helps.

Last edited by CRTurtle; 11-14-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added scout chopper info

Good guide, but one thing: That "left- and right thumbstick"-thing is not on PC. So this guide is more for console players. But yeah, I think this guide is very good to beginners. More advanced players won't learn from this at all, but like the title says, it's for beginners! Nice work!

excellent guide for any level best of all understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassu2 View Post
    Good guide, but one thing: That "left- and right thumbstick"-thing is not on PC. So this guide is more for console players. But yeah, I think this guide is very good to beginners. More advanced players won't learn from this at all, but like the title says, it's for beginners! Nice work!
    Good pt....I ammended the title.

Added unlockable progression chart for attack choppers.

Added unlockable progression chart for scout choppers.

Good guide. No.1 Especially.. I love the choppers

Glad u like it! Check out my other tips on the Kits if u wanna. ojrask has an excellent thread on tanks...I recommend it to everyone.

Thanks for the guide ! I still sucks even in co-op when i'm driving !

Great tips

Thanks for the comprehensive tips. I've been struggling with choppers but will crack on in co-op and get my skills up.